Saturday, July 3, 2010

Dall'Agocchie study group review: third session

For today's study group session, I wanted to refine what we have covered so far, without introducing too much new information. We had a pretty good group today, so I actually went a bit farther than I had planned on going, and that's just fine with me.

Basically, we reviewed all eight guards, the different cuts and thrusts, and the first six parts of the solo form. There must be a better way to teach it, because I'm just not seeing it yet! Although I think it is useful to practice with the partner holding a sword for each step, it also takes far too long to cover what is ultimately a simple (but not easy!) exercise. For next Wednesday's session, I think I'll link all the steps together first, having everyone follow me, and then we'll put it into practice.

Today's big leap forward was brought to us by the Guardia di Testa-Mandritto sgualimbro drill. I felt it appropriate to introduce another kind of defense - still using the same footwork - and counterattack, as well as a provocation of sorts, which leads to one of two attacks: an imbroccata to the face and a mandritto to the leg.

1. Begin the drill as normal, and when A goes to throw the mandritto, B will instead parry in Guardia di Faccia while stepping behind his right side with the left foot (i.e. identical footwork to the Testa defense), and immediately thrust to the face with an increase of the right foot.
2. After parrying the mandritto in Guardia di Testa, A will make a threat to B's face by changing to Alicorno. From here, there are two likely outcomes:
a) B goes to parry in Guardia d'Entrare, which allows A to throw a mandritto to the leg. This works because while B is busy defending up high, A is free to attack the entire inside line, either high or low.
b) B does not react, so A simply thrusts an imbroccata to the face.

No comments:

Post a Comment